The list features 40 records, with Leonard Cohen, Japandroids, The New Pornographers, Tanya Tagaq, BADBADNOTGOOD, Weaves, Leif Vollebekk, Daniel Romano, The Weeknd, and The Tragically Hip also recognised for their recent efforts.
Kaytranada won the 2016 Polaris Music Prize.
The 2017 Polaris Music Prize Longlist:
- A Tribe Called Red – We Are The Halluci Nation
- Alaclair Ensemble – Les Frères Cueilleurs
- Anciients – Voice of the Void
- Arkells – Morning Report
- Philippe B – La grande nuit vidéo
- BADBADNOTGOOD – IV
- Louise Burns – Young Mopes
- Chocolat – Rencontrer Looloo
- Clairmont The Second – Quest For Milk And Honey
- Leonard Cohen – You Want It Darker
- Antoine Corriveau – Cette chose qui cognait au creux de sa poitrine sans vouloir s’arrêter
- Le Couleur – P.O.P.
- Marie Davidson – Adieux Au Dancefloor
- Mac Demarco – This Old Dog
- Gord Downie – Secret Path
- Drake – More Life
- Feist – Pleasure
- Figure Walking – The Big Other
- Fiver – Audible Songs From Rockwood
- Geoffroy – Coastline
- Hannah Georgas – For Evelyn
- Japandroids – Near To The Wild Heart Of Life
- Carly Rae Jepsen – E.MO.TION Side B
- B.A. Johnston – Gremlins III
- Lisa LeBlanc – Why You Wanna Leave, Runaway Queen?
- The New Pornographers – Whiteout Conditions
- Klô Pelgag – L’Étoile thoracique
- Peter Peter – Noir Éden
- Lido Pimienta – La Papessa
- Jessie Reyez – Kiddo
- Daniel Romano – Modern Pressure
- The Sadies – Northern Passages
- John K. Samson – Winter Wheat
- Tanya Tagaq – Retribution
- The Tragically Hip – Man Machine Poem
- TUNS – TUNS
- Leif Vollebekk – Twin Solitude
- Weaves – Weaves
- The Weeknd – Starboy
- Charlotte Day Wilson – CDW
A 201-member jury ("of music journalists, broadcasters and music bloggers from across Canada") has selected the final 40 after initially considering 188 titles. The longlist will be cut 75% to a 10-strong shortlist on 13 July; one final winner is awarded the Polaris Music Prize on 18 September at The Carlu in Toronto.
The eventual winner gets $50,000 and the coveted Canadian Album Of The Year award. The remaning nine members of the shortlist receive $3,000 courtesy of Slaight Music.