Marques Toliver takes the Best Fit Q&A and tells us all about his idea of heaven, his nightmares and who he’d most like to apologise to and why.
1. Who would play you in the movie of your life?
Oh that’s a difficult one. Its challenging to say since there are loads of black men in their 20′s depicted as a leading role in a feature length film. Perhaps if there were more roles within the industry depicting black,homosexual characters in a positive light then I would be able to jump to an answer. Unfortunately, a character like myself is yet to be discovered. The average day for you is not the average day for me. Life with barriers will undo magic detrimental for one’s soul. Lay in the water. Try best not to fight. Yes the water’s cold, I know this cause I felt it on my own.
2. What would your superpower be and why?
It would be great to have a the powers Storm of X-MEN has. To control the elements would be the most organic abilities in my opinion. When I was a child I’d go to park behind the apts, stand on the monkey bars and pretend to control the wind.
3. What’s your idea of heaven?
A notion of a form of power.
4. What one thing have you learnt from your parents?
To ever give up.
5. What song do you wish you’d written?
6. If you could say something to your 15 year old self, what would it be?
Keep doing what ya doing.
7. What’s your re-occurring nightmare?
Lately have I been having nightmare’s and its hard for me to sleep? Tears in my eyes keep me awake and its driving me crazy. You tell me it ain’t real, but its my biggest fear when I wake up from my dreams and you’re not here.
8. What song will they play at your funeral?
Maybe the ocean. That sound can be ever consuming.
9. What five people would you invite to your fantasy dinner party?
James Baldwin, Whitney Houston, a relative, a box of magic, and Destiny’s Child.
10. Who would you most like to apologise to and why?
No apologies or regrets.
Land of CanAan is out now on Bella Union