Yeasayer played the first of two intimate shows at The Lexington on Wednesday and Gen Williams was there to catch their ever-varied and vital offerings.
A selection of chart titans took over for Hyde Park on Saturday as part of this year’s Wireless Festival and Gen Williams was there to witness it all.
Graceland is fine, great art. A quarter of a century on, it still dazzles.
An austere document from these stylish synthpop figureheads; intelligent and enjoyable, but one for a certain mood, to soundtrack time spent alone.
They lie about their names and origins, they number rather than name their tracks and they smear every whip-crack beat with cringing levels of feedback and warped, paranoid samples. This is Hype WIlliams – and fuck you if you can’t figure it out or draw your own conclusions about them, write Gen Williams
Savages dazzle while hyped psych-revivalists Toy lack a certain something, writes Gen Williams.
Not a moment too soon for the debut LP from this idiosyncratic duo. Joe Gideon and Viva ‘the Shark’, fraternally related and formerly of Bella Union alumni Bikini Atoll may have just delivered one of THE albums of 2009.
An Experiment On A Bird In The Air Pump are strong contenders for ‘most unwieldy band name of the year’. However, they’re young, focused and very very good according to Gen Williams.
- Bob Dylan made honorary member of American Academy of Arts
- Sigur Rós and Björk both appear on The Simpsons
- Tame Impala bassist leaves band
- Prince, Miguel, Taylor Swift, Icona Pop & more perform at Billboard Music Awards 2013
- Manic Street Preachers working on two new albums
- Mount Kimbie stream new album ‘Cold Spring Fault Less Youth’
- East London venue 93 Feet East reopens
- Linkin Park frontman joins Stone Temple Pilots
- Haim announced as Rihanna support for UK tour dates
- Drake to cameo in ‘Anchorman 2′