As one half of The Line of Best Fit lives in Cambridge (don’t worry, he’s not a student) he’s been privy to one of the best bands to come out of the City; The Broken Family Band. Their Country-tinged indie-rock has been entertaining the locals for many a year. With Hello Love, their most recent album (and reviewed here), they’ve spread their wings, flown the nest and gone to London. With doing so they’ve crafted their most ambitious work to date. Richard Hughes put our 20 Questions to their leading man, Steve Adams.
1. Describe your sound in 3 words.
Guitars, singing, drums.
2. What would be your ideal holiday?
Motorboats, beach, seafood.
3. What’s the best cure for a hangover?
Motorboats and The Ink Spots.
4. What’s on your rider?
Monster munch, rum, crossbow, local newspaper.
5. How do you get ready for a live show?
Crunches, shadow boxing, star jumps. Unless it’s a festival. Then it’s just stretches.
6. Favourite song to play live?
Lady In Red.
7. When was the last time you told a lie?
8. Who would win in a fight, a stoat or a goat and why?
A goat. Because the goat has got a fucking stanley knife.
9. What was the last album you bought?
Tchaikovsky, complete symphonies. A multiple CD purchase from Amazon used and new. Who is winning with used and new? I think I am.
10. If you could rid the world of one song - what would it be?
Candle In The Wind.
11. Who would play you in a film based upon your life?
12. Dead or alive. What 5 acts would you have play with you at a festival.
Constantines, The National, Nina Nastasia, The Ink Spots, Clive Palmer.
13. Desert Island Disc? Pick only one.
We’ve Got A Bigger Problem Now, Dead Kennedys.
14. What’s your most memorable on the road story?
It was a traffic jam in Germany. We got out and walked around a bit.
15. If your life flashed before your eyes, what would be the highlights?
There are too many to mention. My life is a constant stream of uninterrupted highlights, each one brighter than the last.
16. Do you read your own reviews?
17. Are you a morning bird or a night fox?
A big fat stupid morning bird.
18. If you could travel back in time where would you set the dial?
March 12th, 2003, 6.18pm GMT.
19. What three things could you not live without?
Water, food, a pen.
20. Tell us a fact about yourself we probably don’t already know.
I smashed Henderson’s newsagents window in with a roadsign and had to pay them £407 compensation.